Pages

Thursday, March 5, 2015

I have a confession to make.

When I was pregnant, people would always tell me that when they were about to take their babies home from the hospital, they thought to themselves, “How can the hospital let me take this baby home? I have no idea what I’m doing!”

I was a little offended that people seemed to be insinuating that I would feel this way. Um, no. I’ve taken care of babies before. I know how to change a diaper, thankyouverymuch.

Plus, I was overpreparing like nobody’s business. I was reading books on baby care, talking to friends, watching videos, hiding in friends’ houses to watch them caring for their babies, that sort of thing. I was so ready. I knew what I was doing.

All throughout my baby’s first week, I stayed confident in my ability to care for this child. (I mean, I was crying and depressed over something or other at least once a day, but even then I didn’t doubt my parenting prowess.) Even when I wasn’t totally sure what to do, I thought, “This is the hardest it will ever be. I’ll just keep learning and then things will get easier and easier.”

I was so young. So naive.

I’m ready to admit it now.

I have no idea what I’m doing.

I mean, as far as skill level, I think I’m doing pretty well. I can change diapers, rock the baby to sleep, and strap her into a car seat.

It’s more the principles of baby care that still have me stumped. Is it evil to let my baby cry for more than 30 seconds? On the other hand, if I never let her cry, will she never learn to soothe herself?  Will I fry her brain if I watch too much TV? On the other hand, will I go insane if I don’t watch TV and instead just sit there while I feed her, imagining worst-case scenarios involving RSV and SIDS?

And there are a million other questions I can’t answer. I’m clueless.

So that’s what this blog is about. I’m not here to give you parenting advice. I don’t have any parenting advice.

But I think even seasoned moms are clueless every once in a while. We all get stumped occasionally. (Or nine times a day, as the case may be.)

Looking at Facebook and Pinterest, sometimes I don’t believe it. We really like pretending to be supermoms online. I mean, it sure is tempting to show off only your best moments. But let’s be real. In a way, supermoms don’t exist...but in another way, we’re all supermoms. If you spend 24 hours a day loving (if not always liking) your kid(s), you’re a supermom.

(At least, that’s what I like to tell myself. I do what it takes to get me through the day.)

So. I hate to break it to you, but on this blog, you’re not going to find…
  • Fabulous DIY projects.
  • Adorable cupcake recipes.
  • After-school snacks arranged to look like giraffes.
  • Astounding time-saving life hacks.
  • Life-changing organization tips.

As far as what you will find here, all I can promise is complete honesty about my mom life. There will be confessions. There will be rants. There will be offerings to the parenting gods in the hopes that they’ll send me some answers. That sort of thing.

Welcome to The Clueless Mom!

4 comments:

  1. You never know. If Rhonda turns out anything like Samuel SHE'LL be the one making snacks that look like giraffes. 😊 I'm glad Google showed me this blog! I'm excited to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I hope so...that'll save me the work. :P

      Delete
  2. Who are these Rhonda and Samuel characters this "Annette P" person is talking about? *Sigh* I guess when Google's your traffic source you get all kinds. :P

    My LOLcount = 5. Funniest part (caught me off-guard) was the idea that you were introducing your blog by a bullet list of what was NOT going to be on it, and (probably) doing so in all seriousness. I think funny will change the world Emily!

    ReplyDelete